If you're a 4-H member with a great project idea of your own or someone who is ready to go beyond a current project book, consider doing a self-determined project. Use the Self-Determined Project Guide to describe your project, set goals, and record your activities. You can then enroll in the self-determined project category that is the best match for what you have in mind:
- 365.00 General (Self-Determined Day)
- 365.01 Companion Animal (Companion Animal Day)
- 365.02 Creative Arts (Creative Arts Day)
- 365.03 Family Life (Family Life Day)
- 365.04 Natural Resources (Natural Resources Day II)
- 365.05 Quilt (Quilt Day)
- 365.06 Workforce Prep (Workforce Prep Day)
Prefer to type? Download and save this Self-Determined Project Guide fillable form.
Self-Determined projects may be repeated if new areas of interest, learning experiences, and leadership/citizenship activities are selected.
Not sure what topic to explore? You can get some great ideas by reviewing the idea starters below. Don't forget, every idea starter must be used with the Self-Determined Project Guide.
These are just ideas, written as open invitations to explore new or innovative topics YOU choose. You can always create your own project in the general topic category (365.00) or in one of the other specific topic areas listed.
365.00 General (Self-Determined Day)
- Amateur Radio
- American Sign Language
- Discovering Genetics
- Local Foods—Does It Matter What You Eat?
- Model Railroading
- My Own Stay-at-Home Project
- Viruses, Bacteria, and Fungi, Oh My!
365.01 Companion Animal (Companion Animal Day)
365.02 Creative Arts (Creative Arts Day)
365.03 Family Life (Family Life Day)
365.04 Natural Resources (Natural Resources Day II)
- Climate Change
- Get Started with Composting
- Crop Production
- Field to Faucet: What Determines Water Quality
- Flower Gardening
- Miniature Gardens (made primarily with live plants)
- Native American Artifacts: Arrowheads
- Paddle Water Sports
- Shale Gas Extraction
- Ways of Knowing Water
365.05 Quilt (Quilt Day)
No quilt idea starter is offered at this time. Instead, members who go beyond the current project offerings and who go to fair, enter their quilts here.
365.06 Workforce Prep (Workforce Prep Day)
Amateur Radio, Get Started with Composting, and Paddle Water Sports are new and will be available in spring 2021.