Welcome to Ohio 4-H Robotics!
You’ve chosen a fun and challenging project that puts you on the exciting path of robotics programming. Ohio 4-H offers a series of two robotics projects, both using LEGO® Mindstorms® EV3 technology. If you complete these projects and are ready for something more, check out our Robotics Master!
It's been a great ride, EV3,
and we are sorry to see you go!
LEGO® Mindstorms® EV3 has been discontinued, with a limited number of kits still available. Our related curriculum and videos will remain available as long as they are needed by 4-H members and others. Stay tuned for SPIKE, the next generation of LEGO® Education programming materials.
507 Robotics 1 with EV3
Use the newest LEGO® technology to learn about what a robot is, how to build one, and how to program it. Activities are based on the EV3 Core Set available from LEGO® Education. (Careful, other EV3 kits may not be the same! See below for details.) This is the first in a series of two books.
A few resources are needed:
- Project book 507 Robotics 1 with EV3 is available in Ohio State University Extension county offices, through Media Distribution's eStore, and in the National 4-H Mall. Ohio residents get the best price when they order and pick up their purchases through local Extension offices. Sample pages and ratings are available on Project Central.
- Activities are based on a customized kit from LEGO® Education that sells for aproximately $400 plus shipping. See purchasing information below. (This same kit will be used for next year's project, 508 Robotics 2: EV3N More.)
- Youth need access to a computer and high speed internet. Files and videos that support the activities are available HERE.
508 Robotics 2: EV3N More
This advanced-level project, the second in a series of two books, guides youth through new robot configurations and programming challenges with activities in the book and instructional videos. The LEGO® Mindstorms EV3 robot constructed for Robotics 1 with EV3 is required. (No new LEGO® purchase is necessary.)
A few resources are needed:
- Project book 508 Robotics 2: EV3N More is available in Ohio State University Extension county offices and through Media Distribution's eStore. Ohio residents get the best price when they order and pick up their purchases through local Extension offices. Sample pages and ratings are available on Project Central.
- Youth need access to a computer and high speed internet. Videos that support the activities are available HERE.
Ready to buy an EV3 kit?
Why buy direct from LEGO® Education when other, less expensive sources for kits are out there? Be sure to read Retail vs. Education EV3.
The newest technology from LEGO® Mindstorms® uses "EV3" technology. If you are buying a kit for the first time, buy this latest. We strongly recommend ordering the EV3 Core Set (comes with software) directly from LEGO Education. This special bundle includes everything needed for the project, and then some: the kit, software, rechargeable battery, a storage bin, and live support. Be careful! Other commecially available kits typically do NOT include everything needed to complete the project.
If you're a robotics master . . .
Members who have completed these projects and who want to continue the fun are encouraged to design their own self-determined robotics projects with the Robotics Master.
Interested in using a kit with earlier LEGO® technology?
If you have a lot of NXT kits and want to use them, consider these opportunities:
- SuGO competitions combine the idea of sumo wrestling and LEGO Mindstorms, even RCX, NXT, or EV3 kits.
- It is possible to use EV3 software (and the EV3 project books above) with an NXT brick and kit, though the experience is not ideal. The light sensor programming does not work correctly. Illinois 4-H offers a solution on the last slide in this Light Sensor Addendum.
- Great website we can't pass up: Robot Square
Looking for a club?
To see if there is an active robotics group in your area, please check with your local county Extension office. A complete list of offices is available HERE.