The Ohio State Western Equestrian Team won the Reserve National Championship at the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) National Championship.
The Western and Hunt Seat Equestrian Teams compete in the IHSA, which encompasses more than 400 member colleges in 45 states and Canada. The Ohio State teams have successfully earned multiple national and reserve national titles over the past several years. The Western Equestrian Team has won 10 National Titles (’14, ’08, ’06, ’02,’99, ’97, ’96, 93, ’92, ’91) and is currently the most successful western team in the IHSA.
Three members of the Western Equestrian Team qualified to compete as individuals. To make it to nationals as an individual, the rider must reach 36 points in their respective class at a qualifying competition, must place in the top two at regionals, and the top four at semi-finals.
The three individual qualifiers and their placings in their respective events were:
- Tricia Bellman, Fostoria, Ohio, Beginner Western Horsemanship — 1st place
- Erin Bosse, Findlay, Ohio, Advanced Western Horsemanship — 6th place
- Tyler Kirby, Grove City, Ohio, Open Reining — 2nd place
- 5th place overall in points
Additional members competed as part of a team for Ohio State. Team riders qualify based on their riding ability and riding consistency throughout the season. A team must make it to the top three at semifinals to move on to nationals.
Team riders and their placing in their respective events were:
- Tori Gonzales, Dennison, Ohio, Beginner Western Horsemanship — 1st place
- Kimmy Hartman, Galloway, Ohio, Intermediate Western Horsemanship — 7th place
- Morgan Kiehl, Delaware, Ohio, Novice Western Horsemanship — 5th place
- Jillian Channell, Springfield, Ohio, Advanced Western Horsemanship — 2nd place
- Erin Bosse, Findlay, Ohio, Open Western Horsemanship — 3rd place
- Tyler Kirby, Grove City, Ohio, Open Reining — 6th place
In addition to current students, Ohio State had several alumni successfully compete:
- Crister Cramer, 2014 graduate, Arcadia, Ohio, Alumni Western Horsemanship — 5th place
- Alumni Reining — 8th place
- Elisabeth Bianco, 2013 graduate, Wadsworth, Ohio, Alumni Western Horsemanship — 7th place
- Alumni Reining — 1st place
Debbie and Ollie Griffith coach the Ohio State Western Equestrian Team. The 2018 IHSA National Championships were in Harrisburg, Pa., May 3-6, at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex.